The Kumi online gathering on Tuesday, the 18th of May, focused on the ‘ongoing Nakba’ suffered by Palestinians who are displaced from their homes by Israeli annexation.
The UN celebrates World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development on Friday, the 21st of May. Week 21 of Kumi Now will consider how tolerance and cultural diversity could hold the key to developing the dialogue necessary to achieve peace and sustainable development in the Holy Land.
• Lord, you delight in diversity and creativity. Help us to find ways to reach out to those from different ethnic and cultural backgrounds with tolerance, trust and respect. Lord, in your mercy… hear our prayers.
Every Thursday, at 6pm Jerusalem Time, Sabeel hosts an Online Service. This week Reverend Naim Ateek led worshippers in a meditation of the Ascension of Christ, and helped them to consider what it might mean for Christians today. Believers from around the world were invited to share their thoughts and prayers in response to the opening meditation.
• Lord Jesus, our great High Priest, living forever to intercede for us, we pray for the church, your broken body in the world. We pray that you would fill us with your Holy Spirit and lead us to the work you have prepared for us. Lord, in your mercy… hear our prayers.
On Friday, the 14th of May, Christian clergy and heads of Christian based organizations visited residents of Sheikh Jarrah. Four extended family households in the Palestinian neighborhoods have been battling eviction orders in the courts for years. Jewish settler groups, are trying to evict them and to increase the Jewish presence in the heart of occupied East Jerusalem.
• Lord Jesus, King of righteousness, enthroned at the right hand of the Father. We pray for the world that it may be subject to your justice and peaceful rule. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
In the final days of Ramadan, Israeli police stormed the al-Aqsa compound where thousands of Muslims were at prayer. During the assault three hundred Palestinians and twenty one Israeli officers were injured. Hamas responded to this assault by firing hundreds of rockets from Gaza into Israel. The Israelis retaliated with heavy aerial bombing of Gaza. Tensions have been heightened throughout the country and a state of emergency was declared after clashes broke out in Lod between Israelis and Palestinians living in Israel.
• Lord Jesus, Son of Man, you draw humanity into the light of God, we pray for all our brothers and sisters in need, distress or sorrow this day, especially those caught up in the spiral of violence and bloodshed in Palestine and Israel. Lord, in your mercy… hear our prayers.
Twenty five Democratic senators have signed a letter urging the US Secretary of State, Anthony Blinken to condemn the forcible evictions of Palestinians in Sheikh Jarrah. The lawmakers point out in their letter that more than 5,000 Palestinian homes have been demolished in East Jerusalem within the last fifty years which is a clear violation of international law governing human rights and war crimes.
• Lord Jesus, Prince of Peace, we turn to you as we see the sanctity of the people of Jerusalem violated at this time. Shine your light on those living in darkness and the shadow of death and guide their feet in the way of justice and peace. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
• We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of Bangladesh, Bhutan and Nepal. Lord, in your mercy… hear our prayers.