30th of March 2023
Next week the Kumi Now community looks at the plight of Palestinian children caught up in the Israeli military system. Under the Israeli occupation many Palestinian children have been left traumatised by night arrests and abuse in Israeli military prisons. When Palestinians remember Children’s Day on the 5th of April their thoughts will be clouded by this grim reality.
- Lord, we pray that international governments and organisations will challenge the Israeli occupation over its abuse of the rights of Palestinian children for more than five decades.
Lord, in your mercy..
It is with great sorrow that we share with you the sad news of Father Robert Assaly’s passing. He left us, this March 26th Sunday morning. His wife, Nancy, sent a message saying: “Robert has passed and is no longer suffering. He is resting in peace.” Father Robert leaves behind his wife Nancy and children, Kristy, Ben, Justin, Bishara, Janan and Fedi, as well as his siblings and his mother, Gloria, along with countless friends and colleagues. Robert will be greatly missed at Sabeel and CFOS for his long term of service, his hours of dedicated work, his unfailing commitment and his passion to see justice reign. He was a true friend to many. Rest in peace, Father Robert.
- Lord, we give thanks to the life and witness of Fr. Robert Assaly. We pray for the family and loved ones of Fr. Robert as they mourn his loss. Fr. Robert always asked us to pray for the sick, especially the ones with no access to medical care, and the ones who are facing disease with no family and friends. Lord, comfort us all with your spirit, we are sad and bewildered.
Lord in your mercy… hear our prayers
This week churches in Palestine and around the world celebrate the Feast of the Annunciation of the Lord, exactly nine months before Christmas. At this time we bring to mind Mary’s tender youth when she gave her assent to the momentous call of the Annunciation.
- Lord God, we thank you that you loved the world so much that you sent your son to save us. We thank you for Mary’s humble acceptance of your call of motherhood.
Lord in your mercy…
An independent United Nations Commission of Inquiry completed a second series of public hearings in Geneva last week. These hearings looked at human rights violations in Israel and the occupied Palestinian territories, with a special focus on attacks on human rights activists, lawyers and journalists. Colleagues and relatives of the former Al Jazeera journalist Shireen Abu Akleh were among those who gave evidence. The findings will be presented to the Human Rights Council in June 2023.
- Lord, we pray that the UN will uncover the human rights violations being carried out by the Israeli occupation against Palestinians. We pray that the international community will act on their findings to challenge the Israeli occupation and give protection to the Palestinian people.
Lord, in your mercy..
On Monday, the 20th of March, the Armenian Genocide Square was inaugurated in Haifa.
The Mayor of Haifa and the Armenian Ambassador to Israel gathered together with representatives from the Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem and members of the Armenian community to remember the painful massacre of their forefathers in 1915.
- Lord of all justice and truth, we pray for the Armenian people as they remember the suffering of the genocide and exile inflicted on their people. May they be linked together in their suffering with other peoples who have endured oppression and may they hold onto the unquenchable hope.
Lord in your mercy..
Two Jewish extremists broke into the Greek Orthodox Church of the Tomb of the Virgin Mary on Sunday, the 19th of March, while a service was being held by Archbishop Joachim. One of the men was holding an iron bar and they started to smash sacred objects and then attacked one of the priests attending the archbishop. They were stopped by some worshippers who held them until the police came.
- Lord, we pray that all the attacks by Jewish extremists on Christian and Muslim places of worship and sacred sites will be thoroughly investigated and condemned. We pray that the Israeli authorities will work to protect sacred sites and put an end to any further provocation.
Lord, in your mercy…
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of Czech, Poland and Slovakia.
Lord, in your mercy…