Sabeel Wave of Prayer
May 25th, 2023
This week’s Kumi Now online gathering focused on how Palestinians are working to preserve their culture and history.
Next week, on Tuesday, the 30th of May, the topic will be the high number of child fatalities in Palestine. Defense for Children International Palestine monitors these fatalities and records widespread Israeli military violations against Palestinian children living under occupation.
- May the Palestinian people find strength in their shared history, drawing from the wisdom and resilience of their ancestors. May their cultural heritage serve as a source of inspiration, unity, and resilience in the face of challenges and adversity. Lord in your mercy….Hear our prayers
Israeli occupation forces have used live fire and tear gas against Palestinians who joined a demonstration on the besieged Gaza Strip’s eastern border with Israel, injuring several Palestinians. The demonstration was held at the same time as far-right Israelis held a so-called ‘flag march’ in occupied East Jerusalem’s Old City.
- Lord, the source of justice and mercy, In the face of injustice and oppression, we turn to You with heavy hearts, seeking comfort and strength. We raise our voices in prayer, as the cries of our people echo through the besieged lands of our occupied land Palestine. We come before You, the All-Knowing and All-Seeing, to beseech Your divine intervention and guidance to bring the Israeli military occupation to an end. Lord in your mercy….Hear our prayers
Although Israel has emerged as a global frontrunner in water management and technology, with notable achievements such as the groundbreaking project that commenced last year, channeling desalinated seawater from the Mediterranean to the receding Sea of Galilee, concerns have been raised by rights groups regarding the impact on Palestinians. The situation remains challenging as the Israel occupation maintains control over approximately 80% of water reserves in the West Bank, while both the West Bank and Gaza Strip confront acute water shortages.
- Lord, Ignite a fire within us all, a fire that burns for justice, that drives us to stand with the marginalized and oppressed. Grant comfort and resilience to the Palestinians who bear the burden of water scarcity, as their rivers and wells are controlled and diverted away. Embrace them with Your compassion, soothing their thirst for justice and quenching their longing for equality. Lord in your mercy….Hear our prayers
On May 18th, Sabeel Jerusalem hosted a Bible study at their office focused on the scripture reading of Jesus appearing to the two disciples in Emmaus. Led by Sister Ghada from the Rosary Sisters, the session aimed to deepen participants’ understanding of encounter, revelation, and hospitality. The interactive and inclusive study fostered engaging discussions and personal reflections, leaving attendees spiritually uplifted and inspired. The event successfully provided a space for communal reflection and growth in faith.
- Dear Lord, We recognize and honor the wisdom and leadership of women, who uplift and inspire us with their deep understanding of scripture and their commitment to fostering spiritual growth. May these gatherings continue to empower women, nurturing their spiritual growth and enabling them to be catalysts for positive change. Grant us the strength to create spaces where women’s voices are uplifted, where their insights are valued, and where their unique contributions enrich our understanding of Your teachings. Lord in your mercy….Hear our prayers
On Friday, the 19th of May, Sabeel, in collaboration with Bethlehem University, organized a one-day workshop aimed at enhancing the skills and capacities of Bible study group facilitators. The event brought together 17 leaders who actively participate in leading Bible study groups, enabling them to further develop their capabilities as Christian leaders. The one-day workshop covered a range of topics crucial for facilitating engaging and transformative Bible study sessions. The training sessions included practical exercises, group discussions, and guidance from experienced facilitators. Attendees had the chance to share their own experiences, learn from one another, and gain valuable insights and strategies for leading fruitful Bible study groups.
- Divine Creator, We humbly come before You, filled with gratitude and awe, to offer our prayers of thanksgiving for the courageous and dedicated female and young leaders who tirelessly dedicate themselves to uplifting the message of justice and liberation of the Gospel in Palestine. May Your divine presence guide and protect these leaders as they navigate their paths. Surround them with Your love, comfort, and strength, shielding them from discouragement and enabling them to persevere even in the face of adversity. Lord in your mercy….Hear our prayers
For the first time, a symposium marking the 75th anniversary of the Nakba was hosted at the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO’s) Headquarters in Paris. The symposium was organized by the Arab Group of UNESCO in cooperation with the permanent delegation of the State of Palestine to UNESCO and in conjunction with the meetings of the organization’s Executive Council, during which two resolutions in favor of Palestine were adopted.
- Loving and Compassionate Creator, We gather in prayer, united in our hearts, to lift up all those who stand in solidarity with the Palestinian people. We give thanks for the individuals and groups who tirelessly work towards the application of international law and the preservation of human rights in Palestine. Lord in your mercy….Hear our prayers
- We join the World Council of Churches in praying for the countries of the Indian Ocean Islands: Comoros, Madagascar, Maldives, Mauritius and Seychelles. Lord in your mercy….Hear our prayers