Sabeel Wave of Prayer
In recent months Israeli settler attacks by Israeli settlers against Palestinian civilians and their property has peaked, according to the United Nations. Attacks on Palestinian farmers and shepherds are often carried out with the collaboration of the Israeli military. Illegal Israeli settlers destroyed water pipes and trees in al-Lubban ash-Sharqiya village, south of Nablus, on Friday, the 18th of December. The following day Palestinian farmers and shepherds in Masafir Yatta in the southern area of the occupied West Bank were attacked and injured by illegal Israeli settlers.
• Lord, we pray that this outpouring violence from illegal Israeli settlers against Palestinians will cease. We pray that the stranglehold of the Israeli occupation, which grows ever tighter on the Palestinians, will be released. Lord in your mercy… hear our prayers.
On Monday, the 21st of December, one of Israel’s main thoroughfares was blocked by Arab Israeli protesters They were drawing attention to the breakdown of law and order in Arab towns and cities, due to the failure of the Israeli authorities to allocate resources to stem the crime wave. A high number of fatalities among Arab Israelis has been recorded in 2020, with 98 victims.
- Lord, we pray that the voices of the protesters will be heard. We pray that violence will not be allowed to run unchecked in Arab Israeli communities and that the Israeli government will tackle the problems. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
On Sunday, the 20th of December, a spokesman for Palestine’s Detainees and Ex-Detainees Commission stated, that so far this year a total of 140 Palestinian political prisoners have contracted COVID-19 in Israeli prisons.
• Lord, we pray that international human rights’ organizations will intervene to save the lives of Palestinian prisoners. We pray that pressure may be brought to bear on the Israeli government to honor their commitment to ensure the health, well-being and safety of Palestinian prisoners. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
A female Israeli illegal settler attempted to run down three Palestinian children as they were trying to cross the road in Jabal Jales, near Hebron. A Palestinian intervened to rescue the children before they were hit by the car.
• Lord Jesus, you rebuked your disciples and told them to let the little children come to him and not to hinder them, (Matt.19:13). We bring before you the children of Hebron and elsewhere in the West Bank who suffer harassment, violence and arrest on a daily basis under the Israeli occupation. We long for an end to this nightmare and for a better future for them to live in a land of justice and peace. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
The Israeli healthcare system started its nationwide coronavirus vaccination campaign on Sunday, the 20th of December. There are 57 vaccination centers, with only three planned for the Arab population. There is a high rate of infection in the Arab areas and they make up over 20% of the population.
• Lord, we pray that urgent action will be taken to ensure that vaccines are made accessible to all the citizens regardless of their ethnicity, color or religion. We pray that those responsible for the planning of healthcare provision in Israel will work to eradicate discrimination. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Worshippers from around the world have attended the weekly Sabeel December Services made available on Zoom by the Kumi team. In 2021 these services will continue, taking place on Thursdays at 6pm (Jerusalem time).
• Thank you, Lord Jesus, for the opportunity to draw together in worship with Palestinian Christians this Advent season. Even in dark times we remember the hope born in Bethlehem two thousand years ago. Lord Jesus, our Saviour, born then, and still the good news of great joy to share with all the people of the world. We praise and worship you this Christmas time. Lord, in our mercy…hear our prayers.
• We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the stateless people of the world. ‘An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, “Rise, take the child and his mother, and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you, for Herod is about to search for the child, to destroy him.”,(Matt.2:13) Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.