Wave of Prayer
The Kumi Now Initiative focuses this week on the Palestinian grassroots organization ‘Stop the Wall’, which is calling for the dismantling of the Israeli separation wall. The separation wall has been constructed deep into the West Bank. More than 150 Palestinian communities own land located behind the wall which they find difficult to access.
- Lord, we thank you for those who work to dismantle structures used to exclude and oppress others. We continue to pray for the restoration of peace and justice in Israel/Palestine and for an end to the segregation of the people living in the land. Lord, in your mercy… hear our prayers.
The UN reported that all the property belonging to the Bedouin community of Khirbet Humsa in the Jordan Valley was razed to the ground by Israeli bulldozers on Wednesday, the 4th of November. The demolition left 73 people, including 41 children, as well as their livestock, homeless and exposed to the autumnal rainfall. This incident constitutes the largest forcible displacement in Israel for four years and has been condemned by a number of countries.
- Dear Lord, we pray for the Bedouin community as they face persecution in Israel. We pray for an end to the cruel plunder of the homes of the poorest in the land by the Israeli authorities. Lord, in your mercy… hear our prayers.
On Monday, the 2nd of November, the Israeli authorities detained eight Palestinians from different parts of the West Bank. Among those detained was Khitam Saafin, who presides over the Union of Palestinian Women’s Committees. She was previously arrested in 2017 and held on a three-month administrative detention order.
- Lord, we pray for the Palestinians who have recently been arrested, that they may not be detained in prison without charge or trial by the Israeli authorities. We pray that the Israeli authorities will use their powers to execute justice fairly towards Israelis and Palestinians alike and not to oppress. Lord, in your mercy… hear our prayers.
Settlers from the illegal Kiryat Arbaa settlement near Hebron attacked Palestinian homes on Friday, the 30th of October. Israeli soldiers escorted the settlers. The soldiers tried to detain a seventeen-year-old Palestinian, Mohammed Aref Jaber. When his mother intervened to stop his arrest, both of them were severely assaulted by the soldiers.
- Oh Lord, you are our hiding place and our shield. Our souls melt for sorrow (Ps 119:28),as we learn of these brutal assaults in the city of Hebron which suffers daily attacks from settlers. We pray for the recovery of Mohammed and his mother. We pray that Palestinians living in Hebron may be left to live in peace. Lord, in your mercy… hear our prayers.
Farouk Jubran is a 74-year-old Palestinian resident of the Old City in East Jerusalem.
He is suffering from cancer and has been told that his health insurance has been withdrawn as he is thought to be living in the West Bank. The Israeli National Insurance Institute has told him that he is no longer eligible for an old age pension and he has to repay all previous payments.
- Lord, we pray for Farouk as he faces old age, serious illness and lack of resources. We pray that the Israeli authorities will cease their attempts to withdraw Palestinian residency so they can claim sovereignty over the city of Jerusalem, which is a shared city under international law. Lord in your mercy… hear our prayers.
- We join with the World Council of Churches as they pray for the countries of Aotearoa New Zealand and Australia. Lord, in your mercy… hear our prayers.