Sabeel Wave of Prayer
Thursday 13th August 2020
On Tuesday 11th August, Kumi Now Online explored the topic of child detention. They were joined by Khaled Quzmar, Director General of Defence for Children International Palestine (DCIP). Find out more information and sign up at www.kuminow.com/online.
- Lord, we pray for the work of DCIP as they strive to work against the illegal Israeli detention of children. We pray that children around the world have the freedom to live, develop, and grow without threat of detention and free from occupation. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Covid19 continues to spread around the world with a continuing high number of cases throughout Israel and Palestine. Restrictions continue in Israel and Palestine. With a very low number of confirmed cases in Gaza, schools have been able to restart in the past few days.
- Healing Lord, we pray for all those who continue to be affected by Covid19. We continue to pray for all the medical staff who work tirelessly to deal with those worst affected putting their own lives at risk in the process. Be with staff and students in Gaza as they return to the classroom. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
On Tuesday 4th August, an explosion rocked the Lebanese capital Beirut causing almost complete destruction of the port area and a very large number of deaths and injuries. The people of Lebanon were already struggling to deal with high levels of Covid19 and poverty especially among Syrian and Palestinian refugees.
- O God, bring comfort to those who mourn, healing to those who are injured, and shelter to those who are homeless. Give strength to those who are working now to rebuild the shattered lives of the people of Beirut and protect those who are vulnerable especially at this time of Coronavirus. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
On Friday 9th August, 23-year-old mother Dalia Samoudi from the northern West Bank city of Jenin was killed by Israeli occupation forces as she closed the windows of her home to protect her young children from the effects of tear gas.
- Lord of those who mourn, be with the family of Dalia as they grieve. Support them as they try to come to terms with their loss and comfort them in their darkest times. We pray that the Israeli authorities end their brutal occupation and use of weapons against innocent people. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Four-year-old Haneen Zaloum from the East Jerusalem neighbourhood of Silwan was killed by a stray bullet from a neighbourhood dispute on Friday 9th August.
- Lord of those lost in the darkness, be with the family of Haneen as they struggle to come to terms with their loss. Support all the families of Palestine and Israel as they struggle to deal with family disputes made worse by economic conditions caused by Covid19. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Sabeel, in partnership with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Jordan and the Holy Land (ELCJHL), has produced an ecumenical prayer service involving a number of churches and young people from Jerusalem. The service, in Arabic, is available on YouTube and Facebook from 6pm on Wednesday 12th August. (https://youtu.be/RNCbZIbzB0E).
- Dear Lord, we are thankful for those who came together for this service. For the time to pray and reflect together over Jerusalem during this time of pandemic and occupation. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of the Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania, Niger. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.