Sabeel Ministry of the Word
Thursday 16th April 2020
This week’s Kumi Now initiative focuses on the work of Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association. Addameer is a Palestinian institution which works to support Palestinian political prisoners held in Israeli and Palestinian prisons. It has also launched a global campaign to stop administrative detention. This procedure allows the Israeli military to hold prisoners indefinitely on secret information, without charging them or allowing them to stand trial.
- Lord, we thank you for the work of Addameer which seeks to support prisoners, especially those who have no right to plead their case. At Easter time we remember how our Lord Jesus was arrested, and suffered mocking and beatings while in prison, abandoned by even his closest friends. Help us to remember those who suffer in prison. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
The world continues to suffer from the COVID-19 Coronavirus, almost 2 million people have contracted the virus and over 110,000 people have died worldwide. People around the world continue to live their daily lives under strict restrictions and lockdown conditions.
- Jesus, during Your ministry on Earth You showed Your power and caring by healing people of all ages and stations of life from physical, mental, and spiritual ailments. Be present now to people who need Your loving touch because of COVID-19. May they feel Your power of healing through the care of doctors and nurses. Take away the fear, anxiety, and feelings of isolation from people receiving treatment or under quarantine. Give them a sense of purpose in pursuing health and protecting others from exposure to the disease. Protect their families and friends and bring peace to all who love them. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
On Sunday, 12th April, illegal Israeli settlers began to create a new illegal outpost in the Tel Rumeida area of Hebron. The settlers, protected by Israeli occupation forces, erected a large tent and harassed Palestinians as they peacefully protested this attempt to establish a new illegal settlement. Settlers also continue to destroy Olive trees near Bethlehem with over 500 destroyed in the past week.
- O Lord, illegal Israeli settlers continue to steal land and uproot the Palestinian people with no mercy. We pray that the international community will act courageously to enforce international law and put an end to the Israeli government’s greed and arrogance which allows this to happen. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayer.
The No Way to Treat a Child campaign has begun a petition calling for Israel to release the children held in prisons and detention centres throughout Israel and the West Bank. The campaign recognises the increased risk to everyone held in detention during the current pandemic and states that “There is no way Israeli prison authorities can ensure the health and well-being of Palestinian child detainees as long as they continue to be in a custodial detention setting.”
- Jesus said, ‘Let the little children come to me; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of heaven belongs.’(Luke18:16). We pray that children in detention may be restored to their families at this challenging time for all around the world. We pray that the hearts of our children may be full of hope and free from fear. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Over the past week, those who follow the Gregorian calendar have been celebrating Easter in new ways – online or in empty churches. This week marks Holy Week and Easter in the Orthodox calendar. Under the Coronavirus restrictions, celebrations will be extremely limited and held behind closed doors.
- Lord God, we are filled with hope at the announcement of your Son’s resurrection at Easter. The celebrations of this day remind us that the victory has already been won, and that good will always and ultimately triumph over evil. However, for Palestinians living here, sometimes it is hard to see the light of the resurrection when every day they are surrounded by the darkness of the grave. Instil hope in their hearts, God, and grant them the perseverance to continue on. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of Belarus, Moldova, Russia, and Ukraine. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Second Sunday of Easter (Year A)
We find ourselves in the locked doors of occupation and Coronavirus
just as the disciples were behind closed doors.
We too are afraid, perhaps for different reasons than theirs.
But we too need the breath of the Holy Spirit to take away our fears
so that we can come out from behind these locked doors.
Lord, we are like Thomas with our questions and our doubts.
We sometimes need to see in order to believe,
we need you in order to have faith.
Lord, we too need the peace you bring
because our world is fraught with violence, and unrest.
Lord, just as Thomas confessed you are his Lord and his God,
we boldly claim for our lives.
Lord we thank you for the blessing you have given us,
the ones who believe without seeing.
Lord, may our doors be open to all
and that doubters be welcomed here.