Sabeel Wave of Prayer
Thursday, 2nd April 2020
The Kumi Now initiative focuses this week on the work of the MA’AN Development Centre.
The Centre documents violations by Israel of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child including child arrests, exploitation, torture, denial of the right to play and access to education.
- Lord we pray for the work of the MA’AN Development Centre as they work to protect children, who are so vulnerable and defenceless in an occupied land. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
The COVID-19 Coronavirus continues to spread around the world, affecting many hundreds of thousands of people. There are now very few countries where no infections have been reported.
- Lord, as the Coronavirus pandemic continues to spread around the world, we pray that you give strength and reassurance to all people as they continue to live under strict restrictions and social distancing. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
The number of people with Coronavirus in Palestine has risen over 100, with the vast majority in the West Bank and 9 in besieged Gaza. Due to the lack of testing kits in Gaza, the actual number of people affected is unknown.
- Lord of those in need, we pray for those in Palestine affected by the Coronavirus. We pray that the Israeli authorities take this time of global unity to lift permanently the blockade of Gaza, allowing medical supplies and aid to enter freely. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Healthcare workers around the world are putting their lives, and those of their families, at risk to treat those most badly affected by the Coronavirus.
- God of healing, grace those who spend their days healing the sick with your protective and strengthening presence. Grant them peace as they sit with those who are dying, and reassurance that they are making a difference. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
The death of Father Hans Putman S.J. was announced on Sunday, 29th March. Father Hans gave his life to helping those in need— in Sudan, in Syria, and in Bethlehem. He was known for his beautiful retreats and led a number of Sabeel clergy retreats and other activities.
- Lord, we thank you for the life and service of Father Hans and especially for his dedication to those in need. Grant peace and comfort to his family at this difficult time Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
On Sunday, 29th March, the 44th anniversary of Land Day in Palestine, the Arab League called on the relevant international bodies and organizations to expose Israel’s racist policies, condemning the Israeli practices and violations against the basic Palestinian rights and addressing these Israeli practices, in accordance with the rules of international law and what international conventions and laws established.
- O God, we pray that the international community will heed the calls form the Arab League and from all Palestinians that the international community must act on the unjust and illegal policies of consecutive Israeli administrations. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of The Balkans – Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia, and Slovenia. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Palm Sunday (Sixth Sunday in Lent)
Lord, you set your face towards Jerusalem, walking alongside those who suffer.
Be our vision that we too may walk in the way of the cross and extend a hand to those we meet.
You healed the sick, cured the lame, and gave sight to the blind.
Be our vision that we too may give time to others and respond to their needs.
Lord, you said, “The first shall be last and the last first.”
Be our vision that we too may work towards your kingdom when the exalted will be brought low and the lowly exalted.
Lord, you ate with tax collectors and sinners and heard their stories.
Be our vision that we too may listen to the despised and rejected and value their lives.
Lord, you took time to pray and time to be silent.
Be our vision that through our prayers, fasting and almsgiving we too may draw closer to you and find your way.
Lord, you entered Jerusalem with peace in your heart.
Enter this broken place and be our vision that we too may desire peace where others desire war and may work for justice where injustice reigns.