Sabeel Wave of Prayer
16th January 2020
This week’s Kumi Now initiative focuses on the work of Machsom Watch, an Israeli women’s voluntary organisation. The word ‘machsom’ is Hebrew for ‘checkpoint’, referring to the Israeli force’s checkpoints which restrict the lives of Palestinians in the West Bank.
- Dear Lord, we give thanks for the courage and convictions of the Israeli women who volunteer for work with Machsom Watch. We pray for an end to the Israeli occupation of Palestine and for the oppressive policies which are blighting the lives of Palestinians and eating away at the moral fibre of Israeli society. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayer.
In the next few weeks Sabeel will be holding local meetings to discuss and plan their activities for 2020. Members will be praying and contributing towards a strategic plan for 2021-25.
- Dear Lord Jesus, we come to you in our weakness and dependence on you for guidance and wisdom. We pray that your Spirit will guide the prayers and plans of those seeking to do your will through Sabeel and in creating an overall plan of activities for the next few years. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
The Israeli Municipality of Jerusalem has recently delivered twelve home demolition notices to Palestinian residents in the city’s Al Isaweyah neighbourhood in East Jerusalem. The notices were served on the premise that the homes were built without permits. Palestinians are rarely granted building permits, especially in East Jerusalem.
- Dear Lord, our hearts sink as we hear of even more Palestinian families forced to leave Jerusalem, many facing an uncertain future. We pray for an end to the policy of home demolition and forcible expropriation of Palestinian homes in Jerusalem and throughout the West Bank. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
The Palestinian Journalists Syndicate (PJS), issued a report on Wednesday the 8th of January, stating that the Israeli occupation forces (IOF) had committed 760 violations and crimes against Palestinian journalists in 2019. These crimes included 12 critical injuries with live ammunition, as well as injuries from rubber coated steel bullets, tear gas canisters, and stun grenades. Over recent years the Palestinian media have been under constant attack from IOF, the latest of which was the closure of the Palestine TV office in Jerusalem.
- Dear Lord, we thank you for the courage and the work of Palestinian journalists as they seek to report on the oppression and injustice they witness under Israeli occupation. We pray that the right of freedom of expression and movement will be restored to Palestinian journalists. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
On Tuesday, the 7th of January, Palestinians were saddened to hear of the death of an eighteen-month-old toddler. Bilal Rabah Abu Sneineh was run over and killed by a vehicle driven by his mother in Khirbet Qilqis, south of Hebron. An investigation has been opened into the incident.
- Dear Lord, we pray for all those who grieve for the death of Balal. We do not know the circumstances around his tragic death, but we pray that the truth may be established through the investigation. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
The Israeli documentary, ‘Advocate’ directed by Rachel Leah Jones and Phillippe Bellaiche is one of fifteen films shortlisted for the documentary feature category of the 2020 Oscars. The film looks at the work of the Israeli lawyer Lea Tsemel, who defends Palestinians.
- Lord, we thank you for the gifts of filmmakers who want to shine light on those who seek after justice. We pray that they may continue to find a forum for their work. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
- Lord, we bring before you the war-torn countries of the Middle East. We pray for Syria, Libya, Afghanistan, and the Yemen. We pray too for the easing of tensions between the US and Iran. We pray for the millions of people in this region who have been uprooted from their homes and forced to flee to safety. Lord, so many face trauma, grief, and appalling living conditions in refugee camps. We pray for the hope of a future free from suffering, where all can live with their neighbours free from fear. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and the Yemen. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.