Sabeel Wave of Prayer
9th January 2020
This week’s Kumi Now initiative focuses on the work of the Al Mezan Centre for Human Rights in Gaza. Al Mezan was set up as an independent human rights’ organisation in Gaza in 1999. It works to help those affected by the Israeli restrictions on the movement of people in and out of Gaza, particularly those with serious health conditions. The Israeli authorities have increasingly denied patients access to life-saving treatments outside Gaza. After fifty years of occupation and over a decade of blockade, the healthcare system in Gaza has been stretched to breaking point.
- Dear Lord, we thank you for the work of Al Mezan as they work to protect the human rights of those living in Gaza. We pray that the blockade of Gaza will come to an end and that patients needing to receive treatment in hospitals outside the enclave will be free to travel for that treatment. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
The Christmas holidays are coming to an end and Palestinian schoolchildren and students will be returning to their studies.
- Lord, we pray for the students in Palestine as they take up their studies. We pray for those who face the daily ordeal of Israeli checkpoints and searches as they grow up under occupation. May they be strengthened in their determination to endure and to complete their studies despite the difficulties they face day-to-day. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Palestinian human rights’ groups have reported that the Israeli authorities arrested 5,500 Palestinians in 2019. Among this number of detainees there were 889 children and 128 women. The groups estimate that 450 prisoners are currently held for long periods under administrative detention, without charge or trial. Their research shows that most detainees are subjected to coercion to elicit confessions during the interrogation period and that many endure assaults and torture.
- Oh Lord, we turn to you and cry out for your help. We pray that you will ‘execute justice for the oppressed and set the prisoners free’, (Psalm 146:7). We pray that the Israeli authorities will abide by international law and cease to use torture on Palestinian prisoners and stop denying them fair trial on administrative detention orders. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
On the 31st of December Israel approved the export of strawberries from Gaza, in addition to tomatoes and aubergines. This decision comes as part of a package of measures to shore up a permanent ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.
- Lord, we pray for the farmers in Gaza who have allocated large areas for the production of a strawberry crop to be sold in Israel and internationally. We pray that they may find a secure market for their crop and bring much needed employment to the enclave. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
On Tuesday, the 31st of December 2019, Jewish settlers hurled stones at Palestinian cars travelling between Nablus and Jenin. Twenty-five cars were attacked, and several passengers were injured by shattered glass from broken car windows.
- Dear Lord, we pray for an end to the gratuitous violence from Jewish settlers against Palestinians going about their daily business. We pray that the authorities will put a stop to these acts of violence and prosecute the offenders. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of Iran, Iraq and Syria. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.