Sabeel Wave of Prayer
5th September 2019
At least 94 Palestinians were injured by Israeli forces during the Great March of Return protest on the Gaza/Israel border on Friday, the 30th of August. Nabil Musa Abu Musa, 25, was critically injured by live ammunition and died of his injuries the following day. More than 300 protestors from Gaza have now lost their lives as they sought the right to return to their homeland, since the mainly peaceful protest began in March 2018.
- Dear Lord, we pray for Nabil’s family as they grieve their loss. We pray for a just and peaceable end to the desperate siege of the enclave and to the shootings and deaths at the border. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
This week’s Kumi Now initiative focuses on the work of Adalah, an independent humanitarian organisation working to defend the rights of Palestinians and Palestinian Bedouin. Since 1948 Palestinian Bedouin living in the Naqab, (Negev), desert have faced an Israeli state policy of forced displacement, home demolition, and dispossession.
- Lord Jesus, the good news of great joy at your birth in the Holy Land, was given first by the angel to ‘the shepherds out in the field keeping watch over their flock by night’, (Luke 2:8). We thank you for the work of Adalah as they protect the Bedouin shepherds in the Naqab. We pray, too, that the Israeli government would abandon their policy of forced displacement of the Bedouin. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
On Monday, the 26th of August, the Israeli military arrived in the al-Makhrour region, near Bethlehem, to demolish the home and restaurant of the Palestinian Christian Qaissia family. They have already had their property demolished on two separate occasions, once in 2012 and again in 2015 and have had to rebuild at great cost. On each occasion an Israeli organisation has made a claim on their family property and they have been denied due process in the courts. The distressing demolition was filmed and may be witnessed on Facebook, as made available by the Good Shepherd Collective.
- Lord, we pray for the Qaissia family who have suffered the trauma of having their home and business demolished three times now. We pray for provision for them and for your healing and peace. We pray too for the end the occupation and the resulting acts. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
This week 46,000 Palestinian refugee children started the new school year in the 96 schools run by the United Nations’ Relief and Works Agency for Palestinian Refugees in the West Bank and East Jerusalem. Pupils in the Silwan Girl’s School were pleased to see the renovations which had been carried out in their school in East Jerusalem over the holidays.
- Lord, we thank you for the work of UNWRA over the past seventy years as they have worked to safeguard the right to education for the Palestinian refugees, even in times of conflict. We are thankful for the courage and commitment shown by many pupils as they have demonstrated their love of learning and their determination to pursue education, despite the difficulties of their lives. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
For the first time a Soccer League for Amputees was organised in Gaza under the auspices of the International Red Cross on Tuesday, the 27th of August. Many young men have found renewed fitness by playing for the Palestinian Amputee Football Association, (PAFA), which was founded in Gaza in March 2018. It is hoped that the young sportsmen may have the opportunity to travel and compete in international competitions in the next few years.
- Lord, we thank you for the recent football matches for amputees in Gaza and for the renewal of hope and focus that we see in the lives of these young sportsmen. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
The 1st Sabeel International Gathering will take place from the 2nd – 7th December this year in Palestine. This new initiative will bring friends of Sabeel together with other organisations working for justice and peace in Palestine and Israel.
- Lord, we thank you for those who are encouraging others to take the time to join in this time of learning and fellowship with the Palestinian people. Bless them in their work as they promote this ecumenical gathering. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of Benin, Côte d’Ivoire and Togo. Lord, in your mercy…