Sabeel Wave of Prayer
Thursday 25th July 2019
During the 67th Great March of Return, 118 Palestinian civilians were injured due to the Israeli military’s continued use of excessive force against peaceful protests along the Gaza Strip’s eastern border. At least 45 children, 2 women, 3 journalists, and 4 paramedics were among those injured this Friday 19 July 2019. Five civilians, including a journalist and 4 children, sustained serious wounds.
- Lord, we continue to pray for the safety of the protestors and for them to continue to espouse non-violent means to achieve their right to return to their homes. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
As the weekly protest in Kafr Qaddum began to disperse on Friday 12th July an Israeli occupation soldier shot nine-year-old Abd a-Shteiwi in the head, leaving him on a ventilator in hospital. The young boy had been standing in a doorway around 200m from the protest when, according to a B’TSELEM report, he was shot by an Israeli occupation sniper from around 100m away. The protests are held weekly to protest against the 19-year Israeli closure of the road between the village and Nablus.
- Lord, we pray for Abd and his family at this difficult and distressing time. We pray that the Israeli occupation forces will respect international law, end the use of barbaric force against protestors, and allow Palestinians to move freely on their own lands. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
On Monday 22nd July, Israeli occupation forces began demolition of buildings in the area of Sur Baher/Wadi Hummus (occupied East Jerusalem) due to their proximity to the Israeli separation wall. Seventeen Palestinians, including nine Palestine refugees, face homelessness, and over 350 others face massive property loss, due to the Israeli authorities’ plan to demolish 10 buildings, including around 70 apartments
- Lord, help us to hold fast to the confession of our hope without wavering, (Hebrews 10:23) We ask you to strengthen our resolve to speak out against the overwhelming injustice suffered by the Palestinian people with further land confiscations, house demolitions and attempts to eclipse their history. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
On the 25th and 26th of July, Sabeel will hold a retreat for Bible Study Facilitators at the Scots Hotel (Church of Scotland) in Tiberias.
- Lord, we give thanks for the young people who continue to gather around your Word and whose hearts are open to your message. We continue to pray for all the Bible study groups and the facilitators who lead them. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
On Monday 15th July, the Tent of Nations farm began their 19th annual children’s summer camp. The title this year is ” Growing Strong”. 50 children between 7 and 15 years old are attending the camp. The children take part in two weeks of activities and workshops to encourage them to discover their talents, to focus on their positives, and to believe that they are capable of shaping their own future.
- Gracious God, we give you thanks for the Tent of Nations and their endless struggle to farm their land in the face of ongoing pressure from illegal Israeli settlers. Bless the Nassar family, the international volunteers, and the young people as they learn, play, and grow together in a spirit of nonviolence and positivity. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, and Rwanda. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.