Sabeel Wave of Prayer
6th June 2019
The ‘Great March of Return’ and ‘Breaking the Siege’ protests on the Gaza/Israel border continued on Friday, the 31st of May. It coincided with International Quds Day an annual event marked each year on the last Friday of Ramadan. At least seven Palestinians, including one child were injured by live fire from Israeli forces during the protest.
- Dear Lord, we pray for those who were injured during the protest. We pray for the people of Gaza as they continue to protest for their right of return to their homeland and we pray for an end to the twelve-year blockade of Gaza which is making life there insupportable. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
This week the Kumi Now initiative explores the work of the Palestine Museum of Natural History, and the Palestine Institute of Biodiversity and Sustainability in Bethlehem. These organizations were established in 2014 to carry out research and conservation projects in the natural environment in Palestine.
- Lord, we pray for the work of the Palestine Museum of Natural History, and the Palestine Institute of Biodiversity and Sustainability. We thank you for the work of those who want to take care of the land and the life it supports. We pray that, through their efforts, they may find ways of using resources more sustainably. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
This week our Muslim sisters and brothers in Palestine, Israel, and around the world will celebrate Eid al-Fitr, the feast marking the end of Ramadan.
- Lord we pray that this may be a special time for all who are celebrating and that they will have opportunities for fellowship with family and friends without restriction of movement. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
On Sunday, Sabeel organized a solidarity women trip to the occupied Golan Heights. The group worship with the small Christian Community in the Golan, witnessed the realities on the ground and developed friendships with the community.
- We give thanks for the optimism, energy, and enthusiasm of the many women who participate in the programming of Sabeel’s activities. We pray for the people of the occupied Syrian Golan, the community who was displaced by Israel and the community who is living under the Israeli military occupation. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Israel’s parliament, the Knesset, voted to dissolve itself on Wednesday, the 29th of May after Benjamin Netanyahu was unable to establish a majority coalition. This means that the country will have to hold a second election on the 17th of September, just two weeks before Netanyahu’s expected court appearance on a series of corruption charges.
- Oh Lord, we pray that those who are elected to the Knesset would represent all the citizens of Israel and would respect their office with honorable service. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
On Sunday, 2nd June Israel held its annual Jerusalem Day celebrations to commemorate the occupation of East Jerusalem during the 1967 war. These celebrations were marked with extreme right-wing Israeli youths marching through the Old City to Damascus Gate shouting chants against Christianity and Islam whilst proclaiming Jerusalem as the undivided capital of Israel. There were also conflicts at al-Aqsa Mosque when Israeli Jews entered the compound to pray – something which is normally forbidden especially during the final few days of Ramadan.
- Lord, we pray that the Israeli authorities will come to realise that there is no peace and justice without the recognition of international law. Grant to people of all religions the peace to come together and pray in their sacred places without the threat of interference or violence. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
A baby named Shahd was the only survivor of triplets born in January 2019 in Manasseh Hospital, East Jerusalem. Her mother had to return home to Gaza for the funeral of the baby girl’s siblings. The mother was then prevented from returning to care for her surviving baby for six months by the permit system imposed by the Israeli government. She was finally able to reunite with her baby on Tuesday, the 28th of May.
- Dear Lord, we pray for the Palestinian children who are left to undergo serious medical treatment alone in hospital, while their parents wait for permits to join them. We pray that this inhumane policy will be revoked and that families would be allowed to support their children in hospital. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of Lesotho, Namibia, South Africa and Swaziland. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayer.