Sabeel Wave of Prayer
11th April 2019
On Friday, the 5th of April, in border protests east of Gaza City, 84 Palestinian protestors have been wounded by Israeli live fire, one of whom is in critical condition.
- Lord, we pray for all those who were wounded during the border protests this week. We pray for strength and for determination for those taking part in the demonstrations, that their efforts may soon bear fruit. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
This week marks the re-launch of the Kumi Now initiative. Active members of the initiativemay find it helpful to plan ahead for future activities, while new members may want tofamiliarise themselves with the calendar of activities in the Launch Manual.
- Lord, we pray for all those called to engage in peaceful activism to bring about change to the oppressive conditions endured by so many living in Palestine.Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Israeli bulldozers demolished the Bedouin village of al- Araqib in the Negev desert insouthern Israel for the 142nd time on Thursday, the 4th of April. The demolitions were carried out in an attempt to force this Bedouin village (with 34 other unrecognised villages)to relocate to government-zoned townships and pave way for the confiscation of their property.
- Protecting God, we pray that the Bedouin people will be left alone to live peaceably in their villages and not harassed and threatened with forcible removal. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Israeli settlers used several bulldozers to destroy fruit trees and to flatten Palestinian landin Burin village. They are planning to use the land for their expansion of the Yitzhar settlement. While on the eastern border of Khan Younis in Gaza, Israelis used four military bulldozers to raid Palestinian agricultural land.
- Lord, we pray for the Palestinian farmers as they see their crops destroyed and their land plundered and yet are powerless to protest. ‘Oh, Lord you hear thedesire of the afflicted, you will strengthen their heart,’ (Psalm 10:17). Lord in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Elaine Zoughbi, the American wife of Sabeel General Assembly Member, and Director of the Wi’am Centre in Bethlehem was refused entry at Tel Aviv airport on April the 3rd. The refusal was on the grounds of national security. Many internationals married to Palestinians are either refused entry to the country or must visit on tourist visas with the risk that they could be denied entry at any time.
- Lord Jesus, you understood the importance of families and the natural care and concern we have for our loved ones. Even as you were suffering on the cross you placed your heart broken mother under the care of your disciple, John. We pray for an end to the policy of family reunification which brings heart ache and separation to many Palestinians. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Friends of Sabeel North America, (FOSNA), hosted the Palestinian Narrative TrainingDaysonMarch the 30th and 31st, at the University of Houston. These days provided the opportunity for Palestinians living in the diaspora to develop their storytelling skills and to strengthen their community voice.
- Lord we thank you for the opportunity for Palestinians to reconnect with their family histories and to record them for future generations. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Muaddi Craft Distillery in Bethlehem has been awarded a gold medal and ‘Arak of the Year’ at the Berlin International Spirits Competition for their traditionally made Arak. Muaddi Arak is an Arabic spirit drink using indigenous Palestinian ingredients and techniques.
- Lord we thank you for the ingenuity of the large numbers of Palestinian entrepreneurs who, despite occupation and control of resources, are able to produce world class products. Grant them the perseverance and faith to continue in their work despite the challenges they face on a daily basis. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
The Israeli Settler organization, Regavim movement, demanded that the Israeli High Court compel implementation of the commitment to demolish the Palestinian Bedouin village of Khan al-Ahmar. Last week the community of Khan Al Ahmar inaugurated a new library in a show of defiance and resilience.
- Lord, we continue to pray for the safety of the village and community of Khan Al Ahmar. Continue to bless the courageous people who are resisting the demolition orders of the Israeli occupation. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of Bulgaria, Hungary and Romania. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.