Sabeel Wave of Prayer
13th of December, 2018
Thousands of people attended the annual Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Bethlehem’s Manger Square on Saturday, the 1st of December.
- Lord Jesus, the light of the Christmas trees reflect our joy at this season as we remember how you came to earth to bring light into our lives, ‘the people who walked in darkness have seen a great light’, (Is 9:2). Lord in your mercy…hear our prayer.
At least 25 Palestinians were injured by live fire during the weekly protests of the ‘Great March of Return’ along the border between Gaza and Israel on Friday, the 7th of December.
- Lord, we pray for those who have been injured in Gaza this week, together with thousands of other Gazans who have sustained wounds at the protests. We pray that there may soon be a breakthrough in the peace talks and that the blockade of Gaza may be lifted. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer
The Israeli authorities demolished a Palestinian primary school in Simiya village in the southern occupied West Bank district of Hebron on Wednesday, the 5th of December. The Israeli Civil Administration claimed it had been built without a permit. Almost all Palestinian applications for permits in areas under their control are rejected.
- Lord, you are an ever-present help in times of trouble. We pray that those who try to provide homes and schools for families in Palestine may not lose hope but will continue to seek to meet their needs. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer
This week marks human rights week, with the UN Day of Human Rights on the 10th December.
- Lord, all people have the right to live in peace, dignity and with justice. Grant all those involved in the occupation humble hearts to see the wrongs of their ways and clear heads to move towards peace and justice. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
On Wednesday, the 5th of December, the Irish Senate approved the first reading of the ‘Occupied Territories Bill’. This bill would criminalise the import of goods from Israeli settlements. It will still need to be endorsed by the Lower House of Parliament.
- Lord, we are encouraged when those in authority abide by international law and recognise the illegality of the Israeli settlements in Palestine. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
The U.N. General Assembly voted in favour of five resolutions regarding Palestine on Friday, the 30th of November. UNGA also adopted a sixth resolution on the occupied Syrian Golan, demanding the withdrawal of Israel from all the territory and affirming Syria’s sovereignty over the land.
- We thank you, Lord, for all those international bodies who work to maintain peace and to protect the sovereignty of nations. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayer.
The Kumi Now initiative focuses this week on the work of Al-Marsad in the Syrian Golan.
Al-Marsad was founded in 2003 to protect the human rights of those Syrians still living in the Golan. They live under the threat of Israeli military activity as well as the promotion of tourism from illegal settlements in the area. The action this week asks you to write to travel companies such as booking.com and Lonely Planet asking, ‘Does your business profit by providing accommodation in illegal Israeli settlements or by misrepresenting the Syrian Golan as ‘Northern Israel’?’
- Lord, we pray for the Syrians who have suffered so much in recent years. We pray that the Syrians in the Golan and in other regions may be granted peace and justice. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayer.