Thursday 15th November 2018
An Israel undercover commando unit killed a Hamas leader and six others inside Gaza near Khan Younis. Israel launched air attacks to provide cover for the retreat of the commandos. An Israeli officer was killed and one wounded. The Israeli incursion and air attacks drew rocket fire from the Hamas-controlled enclave threatening an escalation of violence in the region.
- O Lord, our Shepherd and our Rock, we pray to you at this time of violence in and around Gaza. Please strengthen those in Gaza who are committed to nonviolence and deliverance for all those who continue to suffer. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayer.
On Thursday 8th November 2018, Israeli forces raided an elementary school in Khirbet Ibziq in the Jordan Valley, disrupted classes, and dismantled a tent used by teaching staff and students.
- Great Teacher, children need an education to have the full and abundant life You came to give them. Bless those who strive to provide an education under these extreme circumstances — for this generation and generations to come.Lord in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Israeli forces detained 511 Palestinians during the month of October, including 74 minors and 15 women. This was confirmed last week in a joint statement by three Palestinian prisoner’s advocacy groups.
- Lord, we continue to pray for Palestinian prisoners, especially children. May your spirit give them courage to stand steadfast and to depend on your justice. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Benjamin Netanyahu has approved the passing of a law, introduced by Avigdor Lieberman, which will remove the strict conditions on capital punishment and will pave the way for the death penalty to be carried out against Palestinians convicted of murder whether in the Israeli Military or civilian court system.
- Lord of justice, Your Son suffered execution at the hands of the state,but He did not let hatred overcome Him. Help us to reach out to the Israeli decision makers so that they may remember that ‘there is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbour?’ (James 4:12). Holy Spirit of God, You strengthen us in the struggle for justice.Lord in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Sabeel is holding its annual Ecumenical Clergy Retreat this week Monday 12th to Wednesday 14th of November. The retreat will take place at the Carmelite Convent of Stella Maris on Mt. Carmel in Haifa. A number of distinguished clergy and lay people will lead the sessions.
- We pray dear Lord for your blessing on this Retreat and for the ecumenical spirit that prevails in the Sabeel programs. Guide the speakers and the participants to be nourished by this fellowship, and help them disseminate the right attitude in their parishes so that the “Other” will be a Blessing. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayer.
November 15 marks Palestinian Independence Day. Unfortunately, in the 30 years since the state was declared, true independence is still not a reality.
- Lord, we offer thanks for all the people and organizations working to bring about a just peace that will allow Palestine to experience actual independence. We pray for transformation and freedom in this land. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayer.
The Kumi Now nonviolent initiative continues this week with MennoPIN and their topic of House Demolitions. This week’s action asks you to contact the international contractors involved in Palestinian house demolitions in order to highlight the use of their machines in this illegal act. www.kuminow.com
- This is a prayer for the steadfast, the ones who stand firm,the ones who say: you can destroy my house, but you will never destroy my home.This is a prayer for the ones who stand amidst the ruinsonce the soldiers have gone and silently vow:demolish our houses again if you choose but we will never leave.We will rebuild, we will replant, we will remain. Bless the Kumi nonviolent action this week and give strength to those who stand in solidarity. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayer.
On November 1st, the Palestinian authority enforced the first comprehensive social security system to cover all private sector workers. Thousands of Palestinian workers continue to demonstrate against the law which they see as unfair and have expressed their mistrust of the Palestinian authority and its intentions.
- Lord, we pray for all the Palestinian workers who are on the margins. We also give thanks for the demonstrators who stand up for the rights of the people and express their concerns with nonviolence and a creative call for justice. Grant the Palestinian authority open ears to hear the concerns of the people and humble hearts to serve the Palestinian people in a fair and transparent way. Lord in your mercy…
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for Aotearora New Zealand, and Australia. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayer.