September 1st, 2016
In a report produced by the Israeli ministry of education, schools run by the Churches in Israel rank on top of the quality list. For the second year running, Christian schools in Israel have not received their promised, rightful, state- funding and are under threat of collapsing financially.
- Lord, we are grateful for your Church and its ministries in the land we call holy. Continue Lord to guide schools and teachers to be an inspiration for students to grow up and change the discriminatory system. Lord in your mercy…
Last Friday, Israeli occupation forces shot dead Iyad Hamed, a 38-year-old man, with special needs, and a father of three children. Initial army probe said in a statement: “he most likely did not pose threat to soldiers nor was a ‘terrorist’”. Iyad, an American Palestinian, was on vacation with his family in the town of Silwad near Ramallah when he was killed by the Israeli Military.
- Lord, we hold the family of Hamed in our prayers as they grieve for the loss of the husband and father. We pray for the long-overdue implementation of international law for Israel’s withdrawal of its legions from our country’s streets, villages and cities so we might live in freedom and peace. Lord in your mercy…
During a football match against an Israeli team in Scotland, Celtic fans waved dozens of Palestinian flags as a token of support for Palestinian rights. The game’s governing body began disciplinary proceedings with a £15,000 fine expected for Celtic. In solidarity with Celtic Ultras, Ibdaa, a Cultural Center in Dhaisha camp in Bethlehem, together with Palestinian children in the camp are raising money to participate in covering the Uefa fine.
- Lord we thank you for all our friends who take an honorable stand with justice regardless of the consequences. Let them know my Lord we are grateful and thankful. We also pray for the beautiful and innocent Palestinian children in Dhaisha refugee camp who refused to let Celtic club stand alone to face the penalty. Lord in your mercy…
Israel is threatening to demolish 30 of the 100 structures in the Palestinian village of Sussiya. According to a draft of the state’s response to the Israeli High Court of Justice, the overall fate of the Palestinian village rests with the Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and right wing Israeli defense minister Avigdor Liberman.
- Lord, we echo the psalmist in Psalm 43 who wrote in anguish:
“Vindicate me, my God,
and plead my cause
against an unfaithful nation.
Rescue me from those who are
deceitful and wicked.
You are God my stronghold.
Why have you rejected me?
Why must I go about mourning,
oppressed by the enemy?”
Lord, empower us to rebuild if they destroy, plant if they uproot, forgive if they sin. For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, forever and ever. Amen.
- We pray alongside the World Council of Churches for the countries of Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania